Friday, August 14, 2009

The storm

Drip, drip, drip, ting, ting, ting.

I lay awake listening to the start of the rain drops. The room lights up with a flash as the lighting in the distance becomes more frequent. I don't hear any thunder yet, it must not be close enough. Here come more flashes, I see the trees outside through my small window. Boom. Here's the thunder and the camper rattles. I can hear every rain drop in the small metal camper. I'm laying cramped in the small, lower bunk bed in the back room, secluded and alone. The unfamiliar feeling of the room makes me uneasy as the rain drops increase and the random flashes of light give me glimpses of my surroundings. It sounds like metal pellets being shot at the walls around me. A part of me wonders if I'll make it through the night. I decide to try and sleep and as I close my eyes it becomes louder. My mind is filled with graphic images of what could be out there. I know it's just a thunderstorm but my imagination is running away with me. Eventually I surrender to the storm and abandon the idea of sleep. The sound is unbearable. I sit up, hunched over in the bunk and look out at the flashes of lightning that are near constant at this point. I look over at my phone and realize hours have passed. Slowly the lightning subsides and the tinging on the roof lessens. I become less tense and realize the storm is passing. I'll be alright. I've made it through the night.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome readers! This is the start of my new creative writing blog. This "short story" is based on my weekend up north. I am still trying to decide where to take the content of my blog but I am also open to suggestions and opinions about my current content. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and feel free to leave comments!

    ReplyDelete