Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Valley of Dreams

Twisting in the wind are the branches of the willow tree above me. Reminiscent of the days when I would grab onto them and swing round and round. The grass below me pricks the exposed skin on my arms and feet. A song plays in my head. I hum the tune softly to the beat of the warm breeze flowing around me; as my hair flies past my face. I stare up into the sky; my mind wandering with the passing clouds. I imagine myself reaching out to them and hitching a ride.


I find myself in a valley full of lush green grass and flowers of every color. The smell fills my nostrils with a sweet delight and my lungs with a calming sensation. Mountains in the distance fill my eyes with wonder as the sun glistens off their peaks. The sky is a clear blue with one lonely cloud in the sky. It appears to be resting; in the calm air. I am comfortable here. It's all very familiar. A gentle stir in the distance captures my attention. All of a sudden I see feather-like, silvery flakes begin to fall from the cloud above. They slowly make their way down; I reach out my hand as they brush against my skin then fade away. Visibility diminishes as the air around me becomes dense with these mysterious flakes. Extending my arms in front of me I attempt to push them aside. Moving forward I seek the sound that I heard just before the flakes came. I'm curious, could it have been someone for me?

I make my way slowly through what seems now like a downy fog. Eager is what I have become; to find the source of this curious sound. There must be another out there for me. Someone I can share this beauty and splendor with. I sense something and I must find it. The urgency inside me heightens when the fog begins to darken. I know the land in front of me, I've seen it all before. I just need to move faster. I hear another sound, much less distant this time. Slowly the light fades around me. Then I notice something ahead. A light somehow shining toward me. My eyes are focused on a soft green hue that seems to be guiding my way. It gets brighter as I get closer and the darkness around me gets deeper. The light is so bright, but I can't stop staring. I'm running now, determined to get there. Almost out of breath I am halted by a pleasant feeling. I look up and see the light so clearly. Gradually the darkness begins to dissipate. I can feel my cheeks stretch as my mouth forms a smile. I find myself staring into wide eyes, filled with green and yellow glowing with joy. It all starts coming into place. He's been watching me this whole time; observing my every movement. I can feel his sturdy arms wrapped around me and the warmth radiating from his body. His smile catches my eye and snaps me fully into reality. He's the only thing that can recover me from my daydreams. When I feel his loving kiss on my lips I realize, he'll always be there right behind me when I decide to take a trip on a cloud. He'll be waiting to bring me back, to reality.

1 comment: